Company: Project Medishare
Location: Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Start Date: July 19, 2012
Posted On: Jun 19, 2012
Executive Director at Project Medishare
Summary of Position:
Serves as Executive Director of an NGO based in Haiti that has a multi-million dollar budget. Primary responsibilities include coordinating development work in the central plateau of Haiti, and responsible for operations of a trauma and critical care hospital in Port au Prince. Primary budget responsibility and ultimately responsible for operating the organization within strict budget guidelines. Works closely and collaborates with the Country Director in the central plateau and the Hospital Administrator in Port au Prince in the growth and development of services and programs. Principally responsible for leading the operations and development activities in Haiti, with a direct reporting relationship to the Board of Directors.
1. Supervise operations and projects in rural Haiti
a. Collaborate with the Country Director on all projects in rural Haiti
b. Assist in establishing the new maternity center operations and funding.
c. Complete the construction of the Akamil factory and establish operations
d. Continue the TB and HIV treatment programs
e. Expand the community health worker programs
2. Serve as Director of Hospital Bernard Mevs/Project Medishare in Port au Prince
a. Work with the Medical Director on improving care at the hospital
b. Continue the relationship with the Haitian medical staff
c. Implement training programs to expand the Haitian medical staff
d. Oversee improvements to the hospital and the new training center
e. Direct and improve the American medical staff volunteer program
f. Host VIPs, donors and guests in Port au Prince
3. Manage the budget
a. Provide monthly expense reports to the Board of Directors
b. Help transition from American staff to a pure Haitian staff
c. Assist with and oversee fundraising activities
4. Attend the following meetings:
a. Quarterly meetings with Board of Directors in Miami
b. Participate in Pediatric care and malnutrition cluster meetings at UN at least monthly
c. Attend major fundraisers for Project Medishare in Miami
d. Other meetings with various stakeholders in Port au Prince and Miami, as necessary
• Receive mentorship from hospital administration experts in Port au Prince and Miami
• Lead a unique program that address both rural poverty and urban critical care
• Participate in critical care research activities, and have access to the research mentorship and support available at University of Miami
• Have the opportunity to publish research in critical care in developing countries, disaster recovery, HIV, TB, and malnutrition
Compensation: Salary based, commensurate with experience.
Application should include cover letter and a resume.
• Ability to speak either French or Haitian Creole is required.
• Significant experience in global health development.
• Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred in international development, public health, or a related field, and several years of related experience. Willingness to live and work in Haiti
• Flexibility to travel between Port au Prince and rural Haiti regularly, and occasionally between Haiti and Miami.
• Understanding of hospital, program and grant administration, and finance and accounting.
• Understanding of primary care programs, community health workers, and nutritional support programs.
• Ability to manage a several million dollar budget, allocating between the rural and urban projects.
• Highly motivated to play a leadership role in cutting-edge public health projects in Haiti.
• Understands and upholds principles of equity and alignment with national priorities in provision of health care in Haiti.
• Well organized and able to multi-task multiple administrative and clinical tasks simultaneously.
• Strong management, communication, mentoring, teaching and leadership skills. Ability to work well with diverse team and exhibit humility, respect and team spirit.
• Ability to develop operating budgets and fiscally manage operations and programs, given donor restrictions and grant requirements.
About Project Medishare
Project Medishare is a non-governmental organization (NGO) that has been working in Haiti for more than a decade. To learn more, please visit www.ProjectMedishare.org