English Language Instructor
Company: Haitian Education & Leadership Program
Location: Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Start Date: March 01, 2016
Posted On: Feb 25, 2016
English Language Instructor at Haitian Education & Leadership Program
The English Language Fellow reports to HELP’s Senior English Instructor and works with other program staff on all aspects of the English program for 170 HELP scholarship students. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Teaching HELP’s English curricula, including class scheduling, grading, office hours, and individual tutoring
• Monitoring and evaluating courses and students’ progress
• Reporting (weekly tracking charts, monthly program reports, special event reports)
• Coordinating with other HELP staff to ensure consistency of the English program’s message and approach, as well as planning English-focused extracurricular events which may be in collaboration with C&L Program (such as volunteer projects, game nights, and other student-led initiatives)
• Outreach to guest speakers and institutions that can provide assistance in advancing HELP’s mission
• Completing a self-designed project based on fellow’s skills and the organization’s needs. The objective of the project must be to strengthen the English program through applied work experience, efficient project implementation (and documentation), and collaborative assessment of project deliverables.
The English Language Fellow’s responsibilities may also include interviewing students, drafting student profiles, updates for HELP marketing materials and donor reports, and helping students with international study opportunities, etc.
HELP offers round-trip airfare to Haiti, housing, living stipend, and health insurance.
1) Bachelor’s degree
2) Experience in English instruction
3) Strong writing skills
4) Ability to adapt to foreign and possibly difficult environments and situations
5) Sense of initiative, ability to work independently and as part of a team
6) Fluency in spoken and written English. French and Creole are a plus.
7) Experience using the Moodle knowledge platform is an asset.
About Haitian Education & Leadership Program
HELP’s mission is to create, through merit- and needs-based scholarships, a community of young professionals and leaders who will promote a more just society in Haiti. HELP’s highly successful program identifies top students throughout Haiti from disadvantaged backgrounds and provides them with the tools and training to fill critical gaps in Haiti’s economy and society. In addition to tuition at internationally accredited universities in Haiti, books, housing, and living stipend, HELP provides advising, internship placement, career services, study abroad opportunities, and mandatory classes in English, Citizenship & Leadership (C&L), and computer literacy. Our 90% employment rate and high salaries for alumni allow graduates to break the cycle of poverty and become leaders in their communities. For more information please