Citizenship & Leadership Instructor
Company: haitian Education & Leadership Program
Location: Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Start Date: January 20, 2017
Posted On: Dec 13, 2016
Citizenship & Leadership Instructor at haitian Education & Leadership Program
The Citizenship & Leadership Instructor (CLI) reports to the Academic Director and works with other Academic Department staff on all aspects of the C&L program for 150 HELP students. The CLI’s primary responsibilities are course planning and instruction, and serving as the staff advisor for at least two co-curricular programs. The CLF assists the Academic Director with the C&L program administrative responsibilities, including curriculum revisions, reporting to donors, materials inventory, organizing the program intern(s), and coordinating guest speakers and field trips for students. The CLI must take an active role in developing and organizing the co-curricular activities that fall under the C&L program. Presence at program, department, and all-staff meetings is also required.
Specific tasks include:
• Teaching 6-8 classes including: lesson planning and preparation in French, Creole and/or English, office hours/tutoring, evaluations and attendance (approximately 20 hours/week)
• Organizing and facilitating co-curricular initiatives, such as: the LEAD X guest speaker series, student-led initiatives such as the ECHO journal, the debate club, and the women’s empowerment initiative (Fanm Racin Lakay). (Approximately 10 hour/week)
• Administrative duties including: reports, resource management and meetings (approximately 10 hours/ week)
• Bachelor’s degree (in a related field)
• Teaching experience (2 years min.)
• Excellent communication skills, flexibility, ability to work under high-pressure situations, ability to multi-task.
• Exceptional ability to learn quickly and integrate new processes
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Ease with autonomy and limited structure
• Ability to use word processing and spreadsheet programs (Excel, Word)
• Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to read, write, and speak English and Creole. French is an asset.
About haitian Education & Leadership Program
HELP’s mission is to build, through merit- and needs-based scholarships, a community of young professionals and leaders who will promote a more just society in Haiti. HELP’s highly successful program identifies top students throughout Haiti from disadvantaged backgrounds and provides them with the tools and training to fill critical gaps in Haiti’s economy and society. In addition to tuition at internationally accredited universities in Haiti, books, housing, and living stipends, HELP provides advising, internship placement, career services, study abroad opportunities, and mandatory classes in English, citizenship and leadership, and computer literacy. Our 100% employment rate and high salaries for alumni allow graduates to break the cycle of poverty and become leaders in their communities. For more information please visit www.uhelp.net